The Mason Bee Barn is hand-crafted from 100% FSC® certified(Forest Stewardship Council) solid pine wood and bamboo and is sealed with a nontoxic, water-based finish.
It attracts non-stinging native bees that are not aggressive. Native bees are the most prolific pollinators on our planet. Unlike honey bees, there is no colony with workers, there are no swarms, and they do not produce honey. Their sole focus is pollination, and they make friendly, non-aggressive neighbors.
Once a native female bee establishes her home in this bee house, she will lay her eggs filling the tubes with nourishment, and seal off the entrance so her young can safely grow. The native bee life span is a single season so her young are next season's pollinators who help create our food supply and make our gardens beautiful.
Attracts non-stinging super pollinating native bees
Provides a habitat and home base for native bees (not included)
Native bees out-pollinate honey bees 30 to 1
Native bees do not produce honey or beeswax
Provide shelter for next season’s offspring
No assembly needed
1. Place in garden or hang 5 to 7 ft. (1.524 to 2.134 m) high on a wall or fence that gets morning sunlight, under an overhang if possible.
2. Plant native plants and flowers nearby to draw these super-pollinating bees to the bee house. It's very important for the native bees to have a food source for their young.
3. Create a moist patch of soil near the bee house to have mud to protect their young.
4. In autumn, store the bee house (with cocooned larvae inside) in an outdoor shed or covered location for winter.
5. Do not store inside your house.
6. In early spring, return house to original location.
7. Once new bees hatch, clean out nest tubes and trays with pipe cleaners for next season’s offspring
Recommended long term maintenance for the health of the bees in year 2: To fight potential disease to offspring, rotate two sets of Mason Bee Barns. One for new spring bees and another to clean and store for next season.
. Dimensions (L x W x H) and Weight:
11.5in x 7in x 14.48in (29.21cm x 17.78cm x 36.77cm)
Weight: 7lb (3.17kg)